Covid update Spring 2022
In line with the latest guidelines published by EA, outlining that organised outdoor athletics and running can resume in a pre Covid fashion with no requirement to offer details for track and trace or socially distance. However responsibility is upon the individual participant to NOT show up for training or indeed races if displaying any of the symptoms associated with Covid-19.
More info can be found here.
For beginners and those new to running unless described otherwise our club sessions may be quite a big step! In which case our friends at Burnley Leisure offer “Couch to 5K” programs throughout the year (details here). Currently (Spring 2022) they meet:
Tuesday 6.30pm at Barden Athletics Track
Thursday 6.30pm Queens Park loop. Meet outside Burnley Youth Theatre date
Saturday 10am Townley Park meet on Riverside Car Park outside the Rotunda Café (every week after ParkRun)
- Novices and Improvers off road running – Barley Car Park 6.30pm. STARTING MAY 9th 2022 With Colin Woolford & Michelle Abbott. As it says! Road and Park runners looking to get off tarmac on local trails and fell but looking for support and confidence in doing so. 60 minutes with Colin initially From Barley, emphasis on different terrain, technique and tricks of running up and down dale on and off path. Michelle going longer for those looking to get off road further/faster! Please be dressed/carrying kit for the prevailing weather. Routes of c5km rising to c8km over the weeks with Colin. 10km + with Michelle. Trail or Fell shoes essential. Colin can be contacted on 07747 112346. Michelle on 07415 676067
- Mixed Surface Training – With John Roche and team. 6.30pm based from Towneley (Rotunda end) in Burnley. Open to all wishing to improve their running, please contact John to confirm venue for that week if attending for the first time. The nearest postcode is BB11 3RQ. John can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clayton Nomads. With Keith Prosser. From 6.30pm at a range of venues across the Harrier area. All cask ale pubs. This is a social run and speed is not required. Mixed terrain, mostly trail. Kit suitable for prevailing weather required and Head Torch. Aiming for 5 to 8 miles in up to 90 minutes. Keith can be contacted on 07549 639424.
- Spirit of Sport (Blessed Trinity)/Queens Park Burnley, BB10 3AA. At 6.00 pm. Although not strictly a Clayton Club run, it was founded; is organised and well attended by our members. Social running on the roads around Burnley in ability led groups for 60-90 minutes. High vis clothing and a head torch essential through the winter months. Contact Jason Pier on 07950 458051
- Summer Fell Training, 6.30pm with Mark Nutter. Please bring suitable kit for the prevailing conditions. A snack and drink may be useful too. Be ready for 90 minutes+ off road running. Expect to be up high on the fell and in open countryside/moorland. Mark can be contacted on 07899 995181. The locations will be changing throughout summer:
- April – Sabden car park opposite White Hart
- May – Barley public car park
- June – Worsthorne
- July – Worston, Calfs Head
- August – Peel Park, Accrington
- September – Blacko, Cross Gaits pub
- Ladies training. From 6.30pm from a variety of venues around the Clayton Harrier area. With Linda Bostock and Katy Thompson. All ladies welcome for 60 to 90 minutes fell and trail moving to road and easier trail in the winter. Head torch and weather appropriate clothing essential through the winter months. Linda can be contacted on 01282 816269 for details of that weeks location.
- Memorial Park, Church Lane, Great Harwood BB6 7PT. 6.30 pm. Road and off road running with Geoff Smith. Mixed Terrain. From the football changing rooms for a 60 to 90 minutes steady social run. Head torch essential along with weather appropriate clothing through the winter months. Post run refreshment at 1B Tap House Bar, Glebe Street, Great Harwood. Geoff can be contacted on 07789 357013
- Speed work Session. For all abilities. From 6.30 pm Starting March 31st. With Chris Holdsworth. Based at Worsthorne Rec, this 60 minute session is designed to focus on all things speed related. Expect a session designed to test and tax those of all abilities! Nearest Postcode: BB10 3LY. Chris can be contacted at: email@example.com
- Off road run. 1.00 pm. A social group run at a steady pace for up to two hours with Paul Healey. A variety of venues are used across the wider Harrier area. Followed by refreshments at a local hostelry when . As well as being open to runners this group also has walkers and cyclists who attend regularly. A weekly email gives the venue for that weeks meeting spot. Contact Paul on 01254 801074
All of these sessions are organised by members volunteering their time, skills and energy. In order to help the groups run smoothly a variety of social media platforms are used to post updates on that particular session. WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are popular.
As a club we remain committed to offering a variety of sessions for our members to access. HOWEVER – Clayton Harriers needs YOU to be able to do that. Should you have aspirations to lead group runs and/or coach please contact a committee member to discuss making that aspiration a reality.