Updated for Covid 19 December 2020
England Athletics have released updated guidance for athletics and running, and as such club training sessions Can resume from December 2nd provided they follow Covid secure guidelines. Each run leader however reserves the right to not start their sessions or to pause them subject to whats going on in a local area/their wishes and we strongly urge you to contact the leader of the run you wish to attend to confirm times, venues and suitability.
More info can be found here.
- Advanced Fell. The sessions are open to all with experience of running on open fell, at night, and are intended for those wanting to push themselves at the more challenging end of what the venues in question have to offer. Expect significant off path climbs, technical terrain and up to 10 miles in 90 minutes to two hours. Please bring FRA kit and headtorch suitable for off road running. Venues vary across our area, to find out more Will can be contacted on 07887 488477
- Rowley Park Run. BB10 3JS. At 6.30pm. With Chris Holdsworth. Improvers welcome. Expect mixed terrain for 60 to 90 minutes of running with drills and exercises designed to develop your running to the next level for you. This session is also open to 16+ Juniors. There is plenty of street parking here, please park considerately of local residents and do not use the pub car park! Chris can be contacted on 07852 652708.
- Townley Park, BB11 3RQ near the Rotunda Café and play area from 7.15 pm. With Michelle Abbott. Strength/Endurance/Fitness/Speed. For 60 minutes as you will be too tired for more! All seniors welcome, but be prepared to work… hard. Use the main car park near the play area. Michelle can be contacted on 07415 676067.
- The Pendle Inn, Barley BB12 9JX. Barley Badgers Winter Fell Running on Pendle Hill from October to March from 6.30pm with Mark Nutter. These runs are for approximately 90 minutes on Pendle. A quality head torch and full FRA kit are essential, but be prepared for the weather changing quickly at this time of year! Post run refreshments in the Pendle Inn, so you are welcome to park in their car park. Mark can be contacted on 07899 995181
- The Crooked Billet, Worsthorne, BB10 3NQ. Please park considerately of local residents. From October 6th 6.30pm. Structured Speed work with John Roche. This is NOT the session of old! John and his team will be splitting into smaller ability led groups focusing on speed work for 60 to 90 minutes for those with performance intentions. The numbers for this group are limited – please contact John to secure a place on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clayton Nomads. From 6.30pm at a range of venues across the Harrier area. All cask ale pubs. This is a social run and speed is not required. Mixed terrain, mostly trail. Head torch and kit suitable for prevailing weather required. Aiming for 5 to 8 miles in up to 90 minutes. Keith can be contacted on 07549 639424.
- Spirit of Sport (Blessed Trinity)/Queens Park Burnley, BB10 3AA. At 6.00 pm. Although not strictly a Clayton Club run, it was founded; is organised and well attended by our members. Social running on the roads around Burnley in ability led groups for 60-90 minutes. High vis clothing and a head torch essential through the winter months. Contact Jason Pier on 07950 458051
- Ladies training. From 6.30pm from a variety of venues around the Clayton Harrier area. With Linda Bostock. All ladies welcome for 60 to 90 minutes fell and trail moving to road and easier trail in the winter. Head torch and weather appropriate clothing essential through the winter months. Linda can be contacted on 01282 816269 for details of that weeks location.
- Memorial Park, Church Lane, Great Harwood BB6 7PT. 6.30 pm. Road and off road running with Geoff Smith. Mixed Terrain. From the football changing rooms for a 60 to 90 minutes steady social run. Head torch essential along with weather appropriate clothing through the winter months. Post run refreshment at 1B Tap House Bar, Glebe Street, Great Harwood. Geoff can be contacted on 07789 357013
- Sycamore Farm, Burnley BB12 6HH. From 6.30pm. From October 8th. Structured speed work with John Roche. This is NOT the session of old! John and his team will be splitting into smaller ability led groups focussing on speedwork for 60 to 90 minutes for those with performance intentions. The numbers for this group are limited – please contact John to secure a place on email@example.com
- Off road run. 1.00 pm. A social group run at a steady pace for up to two hours with Paul Healey. A variety of venues are used across the wider Harrier area. Always followed by refreshments at a local hostelry. As well as being open to runners this group also has walkers and cyclists who attend regularly. A weekly email gives the venue for that weeks run. Contact Paul on 01254 801074
All of these sessions are organised by members volunteering their time, skills and energy. In order to help the groups run smoothly a variety of social media platforms are used to post updates on that particular session. WhatsApp and FaceBook Messenger are popular.
As a club we remain committed to offering a variety of sessions for our members to access. HOWEVER – Clayton Harriers needs YOU to be able to do that. Should you have aspirations to lead group runs and/or coach please contact a committee member to discuss making that aspiration a reality.